Quartets and Small Ensemble Music
[NEW] Due to the new restrictions surrounding COVID-19 as well as the significant alterations to our large ensemble as a result, quartets and small ensembles will not be required for all students during the Fall 2020 semester. Small groups will be set up by request only and coached approximately every two weeks. Please email the Director of Education & Outreach (email@example.com) to express interest in a string quartet or small ensemble. School Music Program Participation
Online registration for the Fall 2020 Semester opens on Monday, July 27, 2020.
Please note the following changes to registration below before proceeding to register online:
- Conservatory registration will be done by semester this season. This means when you register online, you will only be able to sign up for the fall at this time. Registration for the spring semester will go live in December.
- If you are interested in applying for scholarship or requesting a payment plan, do NOT register online. Please email the Director of Education & Outreach to request a scholarship application and/or be put on a payment plan.
- COVID-19 Special Credit: Students who were enrolled in the Conservatory during the Spring 2020 semester when all in-person activities were suspended may qualify for a $25 credit per student towards their Fall 2020 tuition balance. See full details below under TUITION for eligibility requirements.
When are auditions? Auditions for the Fall 2020 Semester will be held via Zoom on August 29 and September 12. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for an audition time.
Who needs to audition? Auditions are required for all new students and for current students who wish to move up into a more advanced ensemble. Current students of YAP and Junior Sinfonia do NOT need to re-audition if they are not switching ensembles. Auditions are NOT required for Concertino Strings.
What do I need to play/prepare for Auditions? Students should prepare the following materials:
- Completed Audition Form (visit our FORMS page to download)
- One (1) short piece or etude – memorization is NOT required
- At least two (2) scales, slurred and staccato
- Sight reading. *NEW FOR ZOOM AUDITIONS: a brief sight-reading excerpt will be emailed to you 30 minutes prior to the audition time to give ample time to print off the music. Do not practice the sight reading material ahead of time—that would defeat the purpose of sight reading!
[NEW] The cost of tuition per student each semester is $250 per semester for all Conservatory students in all ensembles.
Scholarships* are available to students for a percentage off their tuition. All scholarship recipients must reapply each semester. Scholarship applications for the Fall 2020 Semester are due to the Director of Education & Outreach no later than Friday, September 18, 2020. Visit our Conservatory Forms page to download the Fall 2020 Scholarship Application. Payment Plans
* are available by request for families wishing to split semester tuition into two payments. Please email the Director of Education & Outreach by September 4, 2020 to sign up for a tuition payment plan. Sibling Discounts
: Households with multiple students enrolled in the Conservatory will receive $25 of for each additional student per semester. For example: a family with 2 siblings enrolled will pay a total of $475 per semester, and a family with 3 siblings enrolled will pay $700 per semester.[NEW] COVID-19 Special Credit:
Students who were enrolled in the Conservatory during the Spring 2020 semester when all in-person activities were suspended are eligible for a $25 credit per student towards their Fall 2020 tuition balance. The following conditions apply:
- Credit may be applied to the Fall 2020 semester tuition only. Credits do not carry over to Spring 2021 and will not be issued as refunds.
- Students must have been enrolled up through March 16, 2020. Students who withdrew from the Conservatory prior to this date are not eligible for the credit.
- Credit may NOT be combined with the sibling discounts (applies to the Fall 2020 semester only).
*NOTE: If you are interested in applying for scholarship or requesting a payment plan, do NOT register online. Your registration will be done via email. Please contact the Director of Education & Outreach (email@example.com) to request a scholarship application and/or be put on a payment plan. School Music Program Participation (NEW REQUIREMENT 2020-21):
Students enrolled in the Missouri Symphony Conservatory are expected to participate in their school’s applicable music program, if one exists. For instance: a violist enrolled in the Conservatory is expected to participate in their school’s orchestra program, and a clarinetist enrolled in the Conservatory is expected to participate in their school’s band program. All students are expected to provide proof of their participation in their school’s music program.
In the event that a student’s course schedule prohibits their participation, students will consult with their school music director and the MOSY Director of Education and Outreach to explore other available solutions. AFTER consulting with the directors, students should fill out the official appeal form. Visit our Conservatory FAQ page to learn more about the rationale behind this new requirement.